A moment in time visually documented for history's sake.
EIGHT BLIND BOURBONS
Sunday, May 21st, 2017
Eight bourbons were presented at the same time in color coded beakers (no info will be given until the final reveal). Everyone made unbiased notes to decide a group consensus on the favourite whiskey. The tasting was comprehensive, covering the major bourbon producers. At the end of the tasting we all voted for our top 1, 2, + 3 and the one we thought was the worst the bunch (3 points were given for #1, 2 for #2, and 1 point for #3).
The overall group consensus:
1. Four Roses OBSV 9yr 6mo Warehouse JE Barrel 1-2M NASA Liquor (Store Pick) 59.7% ABV
2. Elijah Craig (Heaven Hill) Barrel Proof Batch A117 63.5% ABV
3. Booker's (Jim Beam) 2017-01 Tommy’s Batch 64.25% ABV
4. Stagg Jr. (Buffalo Trace) 67.20% ABV
5. Van Winkle (Buffalo Trace) Lot "B" Special Reserve 12 Years Old 45.2% ABV
6. Belle Mede (MGP) Barrel #2573 (K&L Store Pick) 55.66% ABV
7. Rare Breed (Wild Turkey) 56.4% ABV
8. Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style Bourbon 57.5% ABV
Vast majority of this group liked the higher ABV%, so part of the "Pappy ringer" inclusion was to see if it really deserves the hype, and what would happen with a lower vs. higher ABV% (we had two Buffalo Trace representatives). This was eye-opening and showed how difficult (and brave) it is to do an objective blind tasting and how hype and presentation can really alter your perception. Thank you to all who joined us!
1. Four Roses Single Barrel Store Pick
2. Elijah Craig (Heaven Hill) Barrel Proof
3. Booker's (Jim Beam) 2017-01
4. Stagg Jr. (Buffalo Trace)
5. Van Winkle (Buffalo Trace) Special Reserve 12 Years Old
6. Belle Mede (MGP) Barrel 2573
7. Rare Breed (Wild Turkey)
8. Old Forester 1920 Prohibition
View my note sheet for fun:
© 2013 Southern California Whiskey Club