Spirit of Yorkshire Distillery with Filey Bay Whiskies
with Co-founder/Managing Director David Thompson and Marketing Director Jenni Ashwood
date: Tuesday, September 27
time: 6:30pm - 8:00pm Pacific Time
location: Lost Property (1704 Vine St, LA, CA 90028)
membership fee: $38 (includes welcome cocktail)
• Advance enrollment is always required and must be 21+ to attend.
• If the event is sold out please email us to be placed on the wait list.
We are pleased to announce a special event with the Spirit of Yorkshire Distillery Co-founder/Managing Director David Thompson and Marketing Director Jenni Ashwood, who are in from England. David and Jenni will taste us through four Filey Bay whiskies from the Spirit of Yorkshire's award-winning line, including their Flagship expression, which is matured in ex-bourbon barrels for a beautifully balanced, light, and fruity whisky. David and Jenni will also talk about the family-owned distillery's field-to-bottle ethos, Jenni's grandfather founded the onsite farm, and about how their unique location in Yorkshire and on the bay affects their whisky. We will also enjoy a welcome Filey Bay cocktail created by Rhino @ Lost Property. Don't miss this rare chance to explore a line of whiskies that is new to the U.S. with the people who create it.
1. Light New Make 63.5% abv
2. Heavy New Make 63.5% abv
3. Filey Bay Flagship Yorkshire Single Malt Whisky 46% alc.
4. Filey Bay STR Finish Yorkshire Single Malt Whisky 48% alc.
5. Filey Bay Sherry PX Single Cask 685 Yorkshire Single Malt Whisky 59.4% alc.
6:30pm welcome cocktail featuring Filey Bay Flagship
7:00pm tasting + education w/ David Thompson and Jenni Ashwood
about the Spirit of Yorkshire Distillery:
This English distillery began making whisky in 2016 with the idea that tradition is important and must be respected and weighed against a desire not to copy Scotch whisky production. Its founder, Tom Mellor, and the team worked under the guidance of Dr. Jim Swan, and the result is a proper grain-to-glass operation. It is also the first working distillery in all of Yorkshire utilizing two of the largest Forsyth pot stills in the country outside of Scotland and a four-plate rectifying column. The Spirit of Yorkshire prides itself in using everything possible from the land. The water comes from the chalk aquifers beneath the family farm, which they have been operating since 1945. The barley is 100% of that farm’s crops. The Molds for the bottles use the local earth to form them. This lets them produce whiskies made of Yorkshire versus making whiskies in Yorkshire. “Our local area is hugely important to us, and so naturally, it’s where we’ve found the name for our Single Malt: Filey Bay. It’s our local beach, visible from the distillery windows; a beautiful stretch of sand that goes on for miles, from the outcrop of Filey Brigg to the headland of Flamborough Head.” - Spirit of Yorkshire Distillery. [link]
about Lost Property Bar:
Whiskey bar with a fun, speakeasy feel, serving handcrafted cocktails and bites. Located on the corner of Hollywood & Vine. [link]
• Please bring your own Glencairn(s) to the tasting, the club will NOT be providing glassware.
• Uber or designated driver strongly encouraged.
• Even though Southern California Whiskey Club is taking every precaution to make sure that this event is safe and in compliance with CDC codes, please understand that public gatherings, even socially distanced ones, involve a higher risk than virtual encounters.
Big thanks to Rhino Williams to make this possible, hope to see you there!
© 2013 Southern California Whiskey Club