presented by Alastair Menzies, Sr. Brand Ambassador LA
date: Sunday Dec 12, 2021
time: 4:30pm - 6:00pm Pacific Time
location: The Phoenix outdoor back patio
membership fee: $38 (includes a welcome cocktail + light appetizers)
• Advance enrollment is always required and must be 21+ to attend.
• If the event is sold out please email us to be placed on the wait list.
We are extremely pleased to have Alastair Menzies lead us on a comprehensive tasting of California brandy. This will be an “old school”, proper get-together to end the year featuring 2 Argonaut cocktails, light appetizers, and a tasting of 5 quality expressions of California brandy made for whiskey lovers.
4:30-5:00pm light appetizers + welcome cocktail
5:00pm formal Argonaut tasting
1. Saloon Strength
3. Fat Thumb
4. The Claim Second Edition
5. The Claim First Edition
+ other #SecretStash surprises
about the brand:
Argonaut’s distillation technique resembles that of whiskey, distilled with both alembic and coffey stills, and aged in ex-bourbon barrels. They distill on Prulho alembic pot stills housed at the McCall Distillery in Sanger (one of the oldest distilleries in California), as well as their Vendome column Coffey still. One of the few brandy makers that own and manage the production process from start to finish; they are the grape grower, the winemaker, the distiller, and master blender. Their “Brandy Queen”, Rita Hansen, is a master distiller and blender and second generation winemaker. Rita applies her vast knowledge to all steps of the Argonaut process; from winemaking to distilling, aging, and blending. As the master blender, Rita pulls from an array of ages, grape varieties, barrel sources, and distillation techniques to create each blend. [link]
about The Phoenix:
The Phoenix LA offers the finest whiskey, cognac, bourbon & Scotch in the city, artful cocktails, craft beers on tap and a small, flavorful food menu. [link]
• Event will be on the outdoor back patio, so please dress accordingly.
• Bring your own Glencairn(s) to the tasting, the club will NOT be providing glassware due to health precautions.
• This is an in-person event, we require you to be vaccinated for covid19 to attend.
• Members will receive a ticket for 1 complimentary Argonaut cocktail (and can purchase the 2nd on their own tab from the event menu).
parking + transportation:
We recommend taking public transportation or ride sharing to the event. There is plenty of public parking in the Beverly Connection across the street. If necessary, there is valet service available at Toca Madera a few doors down.
A big thanks to Adam LeClair for making this happen!
© 2013 Southern California Whiskey Club